I order Qwiizlab UH25 Max USB-C dock and after 3 weeks it finally arrives!
Discussion in MacRumors Forums here
Qwiizlap home page: https://qwiizlab.net
Qwiizlab USB C Hub with Dual Drive Enclosure, Docking Station for Mac Studio Mac Mini M2/M1/Intel, Type-C 10Gbps, Card Readers 100MB/s, DisplayPort 4K HDMI, Fits M.2 SSD 2.5” SATA SSD (Silver)
- INTERNAL STORAGE EXPANSION – supports M.2 PCIe Gen3 NVMe SSD up to 8TB, 2.5-inch SATA SSD up to 8TB and 2.5-inch SATA HDD up to 2TB to expand storage for Mac mini and Mac studio.
- SUPER-SPEED DOCKING STATION – features with one 10Gbs USB Type-C port, one 10Gbps USB Type-A port, two 5Gbps USB Type-A ports and UHS-I SD/microSD card readers up to 100MB/s for quick access to essential peripherals.
- ULTRA HD VIDEO OUTPUT – supports to extend the screen of your Mac to one external monitor through either DP 1.4 port (4K@60Hz) or HDMI 2.0 port (4K@60Hz).
- COMPACT USER-FRIENDLY DESIGN – adds it to your Mac with a slim enclosure made of aluminum alloy, user-friendly installation for M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD and 2.5-inch SATA HDD.
- COMPREHENSIVE COMPATIBILITY – supports Mac mini 2018 Intel/2020 M1/2023 M2/M2 Pro and Mac Studio 2022 M1 Max/M1 Ultra.
The package is neat and gives a good impression. Often a cheap and bad package spoils the first impression, but here we have also invested in the quality of the packaging.
Device top case is aluminium but colour is slightly different vs Mac Mini, but overall finish is ok.
Box contains screws and spare M.2 “rubber” fastener x2, screw driver, Quick start guide, USB-C data cable X 2 and Self-adhesive sponges (to support SDD SATA).
Samsung 970 EVO installed
This rubber is little pit sloppy.. Why they just add screw here?
I attach both USB-C cables in my Mac mini and HDMI (UH25) my second screen and main screen is attached directly to Mac mini’s HDMI.
– Both screens seems to work -> OK
– recognises M.2 SSD -> OK
– I Attach Samsung T5 in UH25 USB-C port -> seems to work OK
But why all leds are on? SATA HDD led is also on, but there is nothing installed?
M.2 SSD speed test
Samsung T5 speed test
I copy my data in M.2 drive and everything goes ok (200-300Gb folders).
Last big folder about 760Gb is almost done and M.2 drive disconnects and I need to reboot my Mac.
Now drive disconnect all the time and finally I cannot see that drive att all..
I disconnect Samsung T5 and try to copy data in my network backup.
Drive still disconnecting when I copy data.
Support say “use external power” but then I loose UH25 HDMI port.
UH25 Max does not actually need an external power supply when both internal HDD and SSD are working in the mean time. However, if you insist on connecting it to an external power supply through the USB-C port on the rear of UH25 Max labelled as Host 2, you will lose the function of connecting it to external monitors through DP or HDMI port on rear of UH25 Max.
I test with external power (Apple 5v power supply. Also I try powered USB-A hub and 18W, output 12v external power supply), but nothing help.
I sent screenshots, videos and logs to the support and then they refund my order.
Technical team figures out the power management solution (chips and resistors) in this product may need to be improved. They will study it thoroughly and fix it in the next version of product.
Lets look inside…
Once the warranty is over, when the device is defective, you have to look inside.
the screws can be found under the rubber feet
After the screws have been removed, the bottom plate can be easily removed by gently cranking.
Click image to open bigger one
The text MC25Pro on the circuit board refer to the Hagibis hub with a quick google?
There were no surprises inside the device, and I think the device is quite well built.
After all everything else seems to work fine, so only M.2 is unstable. I copy data SATA SSD and there was not any issues. Qwiizlab UH25 Max will be a very good product as long as the M.2 problem is fixed!
However, due to problems, the device only gets two and a half stars. If the M.2 bus worked properly, the device would be worth four and a half stars.2.0 out of 5.0 stars
- fast support
- potential product
- finish and quality (excluding M.2 problem)
- M.2 not stable
- use both Thunderbolt ports on the Mac mini (no external power supply)
- The M.2 drive mount is insecure